Green smoothies sound like a good idea but can be a bit challenging to drink. They are great for starting the day with a portion of your energising five a day but if they are a bit off-putting you’re not likely to continue the habit. Riath, Balqees’ founder, is a big fan of smoothies for breakfast and is always developing new recipes that taste good and do you good.
Of course he always adds raw honey as it rounds off the flavours, mellows any bitterness from the greens (especially kale) and is the only unrefined sweetener that does you good. Raw honey has over 200 health-promoting enzymes and minerals so worth adding to your morning routine.
Here’s his latest favourite green smoothie recipe. It’s nutritious, filling and a deliciously smooth texture and very easy to drink. He adds kiwi fruit for its taste and the high vitamin C content. The golden ones are sweeter so just add a bit more honey if you use the green ones.
Try it – for an extra spring in your step:
Green smoothie with raw honey
- 250ml almond milk or water
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or nut butter
- Large handful of fresh kale, spinach or other green leafy veg *
- 150g ripe golden kiwi fruit**
- 1 frozen banana, peeled***
- ½ avocado
- 2-3 cm of fresh ginger, grated
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
*you can use frozen too
**replace with pineapple if you don’t like kiwis
***if your banana is not frozen add a handful of ice
- If using the chia seeds, soak them overnight in the milk or water if you can.
- In the morning, wash the kale (or greens) and shake off any excess water. Peel and roughly chop the golden kiwi fruit. Put all the ingredients except the lime in a high speed blender. Add half the lime juice.
- Whizz on high speed until really smooth. Give it a taste and add more lime juice or raw honey if you like.
- Pour into two glasses and enjoy.
Using different honeys can change the taste of your smoothie. Ring the changes by adding one of our fusions. Our popular Sidr Doani Lemon Zest and Ginger adds a real zing or our Herbal Honey Fusion adds even more energising and restorative properties. (links to products)
More smoothie recipes from Riath: