It’s that time of the year when the first coughs and colds seem to surface. A constant cough can stop you from sleeping, give you a sore throat and make you feel exhausted.
Before you run to the chemist you might be interested that there are no studies that prove that over the counter remedies at the pharmacy are effective. If you get any relief at all it is likely to be a placebo effect. Overdosing on these remedies is possible though and they should never be given to children under 6 years old. The cough medicines and lozenges also contain a high level of refined sugars.
The ingredients to soothe your cough and make you feel better naturally are probably in your kitchen already. This draws on centuries old wisdom that has helped to soothe coughs and aided recovery.
Raw honey helps relieve irritation in your throat and mouth by forming a protective film. It also contains enzymes that boost the immune system to help ward off further nasties.
On its own or combined with other health-boosting ingredients, there’s concrete evidence in recent studies that raw honey can help alleviate cough symptoms. For more detailed information, read Raw honey remedies to combat colds and coughs.
And here are two recipes for your own natural, effective, nice-tasting, refined sugar-free, homemade cough syrup. Have it on hand to help you survive the winter lurgies.
Homemade raw honey cough syrupIngredients
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- small piece of fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat the water and apple cider vinegar but do not boil. It should not be hotter than 60C to preserve the nutrients in the honey.
- Pour into a small jar with the raw honey.
- Peel the ginger, chop finely and pound in a pestle and mortar until it’s a smooth paste.
- Add the ginger and spices into the jar, screw the lid on tightly and shake until everything is combined.
Simple raw honey and lemon cough syrup
- 12 tablespoons (approx. 200ml) raw honey
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 3 lemons
- Put the raw honey and olive oil into a small saucepan and warm over a low heat, stirring until the honey and oil have combined. Do not overheat (as above). Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice. Pour into a jar, screw on the lid and shake to mix.
- Take a teaspoon every few hours. There is no chance of overdosing.
- Other immune boosting natural remedies are bee pollen, raw honey and turmeric, ginseng, propolis, raw honey and cinnamon and saffron.
Read more about how raw honey can improve gut health and whether it’s ok to eat raw honey if you have diabetes.
Keep well this winter.